Ideal surfing conditions for beginners are obvious, the smoother the better. If it’s your first time on the water, check the forecast and choose a day that the surf is relatively quiet, without rain or high winds. The beach at Enniscrone is legendary but wherever you are along the coast you can consistently bag big waves, clean waters and great surfing.
We’re so lucky to have one of the top surf schools this side of the country right in our backyard. 7th Wave Surf School is a fun, friendly and family-run school operating on the 5km of golden sand along Enniscrone Beach. They cater to all ages and abilities and all of their instructors are not only patient and experienced but fully ISA qualified surf instructors. Their top priority at all times is the safety and wellbeing of each student and, of course, ensuring you’re a moderately proficient surfer by the time you leave!
Your lesson will last for approximately 2 hours. The first 20-minutes is spent on the beach going through safety and technique. The rest of the lesson will be spent in the water practicing catching waves, popping and riding waves to shore. Your instructor will be present the whole time to answer any questions and assist you. They provide you with the surfboard and wetsuit for your lesson. You’ll just need to bring a towel, swimwear to use under your wetsuit and a warm jacket for after surfing. They operate in small groups (less than 8 usually) and also run family friendly or kids camps during the summer.
1. Take your time! Surfing is one of the hardest sports in the world to master and it will take patience and dedication. Once you catch your first ‘green’ wave you’ll be hooked!
2. Make sure you take lessons from a professional instructor. It’s important to have the basic techniques right before you progress.
3. Choose your board wisely. These are provided by 7th Wave Surf School and they will help to choose a board that suits your unique weight, height and ability.
4. Choose a spot that’s right for you, let your instructor guide you to the right spot in the right conditions.
5. Don’t go surfing alone as a beginner as the sea is powerful and unpredictable and accidents can happen quickly.
If you are looking for the ideal base to stay while learning to surf or perfecting your pop-up, Ocean Sands hotel is ideal. We not only offer luxurious bedrooms and top-class service, but we have unrivalled views over the stunning Atlantic Ocean. Call our friendly reservations team today to book your surfing break along Irelands stunning West Coast.